Linux Systems Administrator
unWired is searching for an experienced Linux Systems Administrator to join our Engineering team. Reporting to the Level 3 Engineering Manager, this position is responsible for managing the day-to-day operation of servers by ensuring our systems will provide the best possible user experience and allow our network to operate at peak efficiency. This includes management of systems hardware and software, and installation and rebuilding of servers.
- • Respond to trouble tickets created by the NOC, monitor automation software, respond to monitoring software alerts, install new servers, rebuild existing servers, and configure hardware, peripherals, services, and settings in accordance with operational requirements.
- • Ensure proper security, monitoring, alerting and reporting for the infrastructure.
- • Work with the engineering and IT teams, using monitoring systems and other tools to ensure the integrity and availability of our hardware, server resources, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs.
- • Assist project teams with technical issues in the planning phase of sites or project development efforts.
- • Gather system requirements and support several project teams in evolving, testing and rolling-out new products and services, then transitioning the site or product to post launch operations activities throughout life of the product or service.
- • Document processes and procedures and follow a formal change management procedure; update and maintain installation and configuration procedures on the Wiki.
- • Contribute and maintain best practices documentation for operations, security, and capital efficiency.
- • Migrate outdated systems to new servers/containers with updated OS’s.
- • Demonstrate a personal commitment to the Company values; promote an environment that recognizes and values diversity and treats all people with respect, prohibiting unlawful discrimination and harassment.
- • Ensure a safe, healthy work environment by following all safety, health and environmental policies, procedures and regulations per the Company’s IIPP, job safe practices and other related programs.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- • High School Diploma, or equivalent language and mathematical skills.
- • 10+ years’ experience administering Linux/Unix required or equivalent work experience.
- • Experience patching, updating, and migrating entire systems.
- • Experience in Python or Shell Scripting, with experience implementing automation and monitoring using shell scripting and other related tools.
- • Experience with monitoring tools such as Nagios/Icinga, Zabbix, LibreNMS/Observium.
- • Experience with Apache, nginx.
- • Experience with mail servers.
- • Experience in analysis and system performance tuning.
- • Experience with proxies / reverse proxies, e.g. ha-proxy, squid, varnish.
- • Knowledge of protocols such as DNS, HTTP, SMTP, SNMP, preferred.
- • Basic knowledge of networking, helpful.
- • Knowledge of virtualization with VMware, preferred.
- • Knowledge of OSI model, preferred.
- • Experience with GitHub, GitLab, or other “GitOps” tools, preferred.
- • Ability to work with new technologies such as containers/Docker and container orchestration such as Kubernetes.
- • Ability to implement automation and monitoring using shell scripting and other related tools such as Puppet or Ansible.
- • Problem Solving: identifies and resolves problems timely; gathers and analyzes information effectively; develops alternative solutions; uses reason when dealing with emotional topics.
- • Communication Skills: speaks and writes clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations; responds well to questions, presents effectively in group meetings or settings, ability to read and interpret written information.
- Interpersonal Skills: focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; open to others’ ideas.
- • Demonstrated attention to detail.
- • Multi-task oriented.
- • Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- • Company-paid Life Insurance
- • Long Term Disability Insurance
- • Flexible Spending Accounts
- • 401K with generous company contributions, including Profit-Sharing contributions
- • Holiday, Vacation and Sick paid time off
- • Complementary internet connection
Fresno based unWired Broadband was founded in 2003 with the goal of delivering fast, reliable Internet
connections to homes and businesses in rural and underserved areas. Strong demand, fueled by
increasing needs for connectivity, have led to 19 years of continuous growth. We currently cover over
14,000 square miles between Stockton and the base of the Grapevine. Our 170 tower sites are
strategically located to cover the rural and underserved areas that have been ignored by DSL, cable and